Tuesday, January 29, 2013

5 Step Plan to Developing Your "Teacher Look"

Teachers are responsible for teaching rooms full of adrenaline crazed children. If there is one thing I could say that can control a classroom full of nutty adolescents, it would be the "teacher look".

 
You too, can develop your own "teacher look" and use it in your daily life to great advantage.
The “teacher look” is the first and best tool in the teacher’s arsenal. Because a teacher must use it four million times a day, it is quickly mastered. It’s a look that is so frightening, so unnerving, that the recipient shudders. The good teachers have it to where a student will quickly cease and desist the unwanted behavior, but the best teachers can invoke fear and even tears in a mere ten second stare down.
Why is it so effective, if its just a look? Well, there really is no consequence that can come after the look; most consequences are pretty much illegal nowadays. The “teacher look” is simply very uncomfortable. Once learned, you can pretty much control any one's behavior.
I’ve used it when grown men have cut me in the checkout lines at ice cream stands. I’ve thrown the “teacher look” at misbehaving children in the mall. At times, I even apply it at home with Bre and my husband.
I’m going to break down the “teacher look” into 5 steps.
1.       Really feel the quiet rage within.
2.       Envision the clear message you need to project (i.e. Stop talking, get away from me, don’t hit her, quit eating your boogers, etc.)
3.       Imagine your eyes are able to communicate the message to the recipient, as if you can enter it in their mind.
 
 
4.       Be cold. Ice cold.
5.       Practice on the cat.
Now, you should never try the “teacher look” unless you are ready. You could potentially ruin your reputation forever. It’s all about credibility… No pressure.
You will probably develop your own style, as a student once pointed out to me; I tip my head to the right while simultaneously raising my left eyebrow.

So good luck, and let me know how you do.
“No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. “-Yoda
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha! This post is so funny, reminds me of the same thing my teacher friend told me about. Love the last picture of the baby throwing the teacher look at the cat!

    Cheers
    Felicia
    princessandtherock.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Felicia for visiting! That is my daughter when she was one year old, the "teacher look" is used quite often around our house.

      Delete
  2. That is so clever and cute, and oh so true. I was a reading teacher when my youngest was going through elementary school and he would get mad at me for pulling out the "teacher look" at home. He would say, "Mo-o-o-o-m.......I'm NOT one of your students!!! Put that look away!" Ahhh, good times.

    Love the pictures!


    Penny @ http://greenmomsandkids.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really made me laugh!! I had to leave the room because I thought I'd wake up the baby!

    "The Look" works wonders on toddlers, I've found. Conviction is key, for sure! Garett used to tell the other kids that I was giving Connor (or the offending pupil) "her Stop It eyes." Cracked me up!

    -Val
    imaginativerealist.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete